On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 04:12:48PM -0700, Edho P Arief wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 6:03 AM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandol...@esri.com> wrote:
> > In any case -- any thoughts on whether or not I'll be helping anything
> > if I change my slog slice starting cylinder to be 4k aligned even
> > though slice 0 isn't?
> >

> some people claims that due to how zfs works, there will be
> performance hit as long the reported sector size is different with the
> physical size.
>
> This thread[1] has the discussion on what happened and how to handle
> such drives on freebsd.
>
> [1] http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-fs&m=126976001214266&w=2

Thanks for the pointer -- these posts seem to reference data disks
within the pool rather than disks being used for slog.

Perhaps some of the same issues could arise, but I'm not sure that
variable stripe sizing in a RAIDZ pool would change how the ZIL / slog
devices are addressed.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
on that...

Ray