On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandol...@esri.com> wrote:
> I want to "fix" (as much as is possible) a misalignment issue with an
> X-25E that I am using for both OS and as an slog device.

It's pretty easy to get the alignment right

fdisk uses a default of 63/255/*, which isn't easy to change. This
makes each cylinder ( 63 * 255 * 512b ).  You want ( $cylinder_offset
) * ( 63 * 255 * 512b ) / ( $block_alignment_size ) to be evenly
divisible. For a 4k alignment you want the offset to be 8.

With fdisk, create your SOLARIS2 partition that uses the entire disk.
The partition will be from cylinder 1 to whatever. Cylinder 0 is used
for the MBR, so it's automatically un-aligned.

When you create slices in format, the MBR cylinder isn't visible, so
you have to subtract 1 from the offset, so your first slice should
start on cylinder 7. Each additional cylinder should start on a
multiple of 8, minus 1. eg: 63, 1999, etc.

It doesn't matter if the end of a slice is unaligned, other than to
make aligning the next slice easier.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com