On 09/07/2010 03:58 PM, Craig Stevenson wrote:
I am working on a home file server.  After reading a wide range of blogs and
forums, I have a few questions that are still not clear to me....

1.  Is there a benefit in having quad core CPU (e.g. Athlon II X4 vs X2)? All
of the web blogs seem to suggest using lower-wattage dual core CPUs.  But; with
the recent advent of dedup, SHA256 checksum, etc., I am now wondering if
opensolaris is better served with quad core.

With a big RAIDZ3, it's well worth having extra cores. A scrub on my eight-disk RAIDZ2 uses about 60% of all four cores on my Athlon II X4 630.

With smaller pools, dual-core would be OK.

If you're going to use dedup, you might want to go with an eight-disk RAIDZ2 and an SSD for L2ARC, instead of a nine-disk RAIDZ3.