I am working on a home file server.  After reading a wide range of blogs and
forums, I have a few questions that are still not clear to me....

1.  Is there a benefit in having quad core CPU (e.g. Athlon II X4 vs X2)? All
of the web blogs seem to suggest using lower-wattage dual core CPUs.  But; with
the recent advent of dedup, SHA256 checksum, etc., I am now wondering if
opensolaris is better served with quad core.

2.  For checksum on ZFS datasets, is there value in using Fletcher4 or SHA256
instead of just using the default (which Evil Tuning Guide says is Fletcher2,
others say it is Fletcher4)?  And, should I consider using different checksums
for different ZFS datasets (e.g. irreplaceable documents and digital photos vs.
backups from other machines).  I think the answer was that for ZFS volumes, the
checksum is only to detect an error and not for reconstructing data and so the
default was fine.  {Also, can you confirm the default is now Flectcher 4?}

3.  Should I consider using dedup if my server has only 8Gb of RAM?  Or, will
that not be enough to hold the DDT?  In which case, should I add L2ARC / ZIL or
am I better to just skip using dedup on a home file server?

Thanks,
Craig

----------------
My config:

[u]Use:[/u] Home File Server supporting PC and Mac machines -- audio/video
files, home directories (documents & photos), and backup images.  Will not run
any other services.

[u]Objective:[/u]  adequate performance for home use; maximize protection for
documents and photos; minimize administrative upkeep.

[u]Configuration:[/u]
OpenSolaris B134
AMD X2 260 / Asus MA4785TD-V EVO
8Gb ECC RAM (Crucial CT25672BA1339)
Intel EXPI9301CT NIC
LSI SAS9211-8i
Boot Disk:  WD Scorpio Black 250Gb (2-way mirror)
Media Pool:  WD Caviar Blue 640Gb (2-way mirror)
Mass Storage (File & Backup) Pool:  WD Carviar Blue 640Gb (9 disk Raid-Z3)