On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Nicolas Williams wrote:

> I've researched this enough (mainly by reading most of the ~240 or so
> relevant zfs-discuss posts and several bug reports)

And I think some fair fraction of those posts were from me, so I'll try not
to start rehashing old discussions ;).

> That only leaves aclmode=discard and some variant of aclmode=groupmask
> that is less confusing.

Or aclmode=deny, which is pretty simple, not very confusing, and basically
the only paradigm that will prevent chmod from breaking your ACL.

> So one might wonder: can one determine user intent from the ACL prior to
> the change and the mode/POSIX ACL being set, and then edit the ZFS ACL
> in a way that approximates the user's intention?

You're assuming the user is intentionally executing the chmod, or even
*aware* of it happening. Probably at least 99% of the chmod calls executed
on a file with a ZFS ACL at my site are the result of non-ACL aware legacy
apps being stupid. In which case the *user* intent to to *leave the damn
ACL alone* :)...

> But much better than that would be if we just move to a ZFS ACL world
> (which, among other things, means we'll need a simple libc API for
> editing ACLs).

Yep. And a good first step towards an ACL world would be providing a way to
keep chmod from destroying ACLs in the current world...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  hen...@csupomona.edu