Ian,

It would help to have some config detail (e.g. what options are you using?
zpool status output; property lists for specific filesystems and zvols; etc)

Some basic Solaris stats can be very helpful too (e.g. peak flow samples of
vmstat 1, mpstst 1, iostat -xnz 1, etc)

It would also be great to know how you are running you tests.

I'd also like to know what version of NFS and mount options. A network trace
down to NFS RPC or iSCSI operation level with timings would be great too.

I'm wondering whether your HBA has a write through or write back cache enabled?
The latter might make things very fast, but could put data at risk if not
sufficiently non-volatile.

Cheers,
Phil