Has anyone suggested either removing L2ARC/SLOG entirely or relocating them so
that all devices are coming off the same controller? You've swapped the
external controller but the H700 with the internal drives could be the real
culprit. Could there be issues with cross-controller IO in this case? Does the
H700 use the same chipset/driver as the other controllers you've tried?

I don't have a good understanding of where the various software components here
fit together, but it seems like the problem is not with the controller(s) but
with whatever is queueing network IO requests to the storage subsystem (or
controlling queues/buffers/etc for this). Do NFS and iSCSI share a code path
for this?

-Will