On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Habony, Zsolt <zsolt.hab...@hp.com> wrote:

> In many large datacenters, a different storage team handles LUN requests
> and assignment.
> We ask a LUN in a specific size, and we get one.
>
> It might result that the first vdev (LUN) is on a beginning of a RAID set
> on the storage,
> and the second vdev is on the end of the same RAID set on the same physical
> disks. (If not in the creation time, then
> later, during the increase of a filled zpool, by adding a LUN)
>
> I worry about head thrashing.  Though memory cache of large storage should
> make the problem
> easier, I would be more happy if I can be sure that zpool will not be
> handled as a stripe.
>
> Is there a way to avoid it, or can we be sure that the problem does not
> exist at all ?

It shouldn't matter if LUN's are on the same backend disk.  Unless the
manufacturer of the array is brain dead, their wide striping algorithm
should handle it without breaking a sweat.  If the pool of disk can't
service the number of IOPS, the "storage team" should be moving LUN's
around, that's what they get paid to do.

Your *issue* shouldn't be an issue at all unless the backend disk is junk.
 I've never seen an issue with Hitachi's HDP or NetApp's aggregates.

--Tim