> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Ian D
>
> I get that multi-cores doesn't necessarily better performances, but I
> doubt that both the latest AMD CPUs (the Magny-Cours) and the latest
> Intel CPUs (the Beckton) suffer from incredibly bad cache management.

You "doubt" AMD or Intel cpu's suffer from bad cache mgmt?
I can't say if that problem affects you or not, but you shouldn't dismiss it
just like that.  Back when Pentium 4 was the latest greatest, I had a system
that supported max 8G ram.  It was originally built 4G, and worked fine.  We
later upgraded to 8G, and as long as it used 8G ram, it performed about 1%
of normal capacity.  The root cause was something like insufficient cache on
the cpu.  The solution was to run with 4G of ram, and no more.

Probably not anything like what you're experiencing, but the point is, yes
that sort of thing can happen in real life.

And if you think that's bad, imagine what it must have been like back when
the Pentium-1 chip was first being discovered to have the floating point
division error...