On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Orvar Korvar <
knatte_fnatte_tja...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A noob question:
>
> These drives that people talk about, can you use them as a system disc too?
> Install Solaris 11 Express on them? Or can you only use them as a L2ARC or
> Zil?
> --

They're a standard SATA hard drive.  You can use them for whatever you'd
like.  For the price though, they aren't really worth the money to buy just
to put your OS on.   Your system drive on a Solaris system generally doesn't
see enough I/O activity to require the kind of IOPS you can get out of most
modern SSD's.  If you were using the system as a workstation, it'd
definitely help, as applications tend to feel more responsive with an SSD.
That's all I run in my laptops now.

--Tim