On 11/17/10 12:04, Miles Nordin wrote:
black-box crypto is snake oil at any level, IMNSHO.

Absolutely.

Congrats again on finishing your project, but every other disk
encryption framework I've seen taken remotely seriously has a detailed
paper describing the algorithm, not just a list of features and a
configuration guide.  It should be a requirement for anything treated
as more than a toy.  I might have missed yours, or maybe it's coming
soon.

In particular, the mechanism by which dedup-friendly block IV's are chosen based on the plaintext needs public scrutiny. Knowing Darren, it's very likely that he got it right, but in crypto, all the details matter and if a spec detailed enough to allow for interoperability isn't available, it's safest to assume that some of the details are wrong.

                                                - Bill