On Nov 17, 2010, at 1:57 AM, Tim Cook <t...@cook.ms> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Rthoreau <r7h0...@att.net> wrote:
>

> > I just think that some people might need that little
> > extra nudge that a few graphs and test would provide. If it happens to
> > also come with a few good practices you could save a lot of people some
> > time and heart ache as I am sure people are desirous to see the results.
>
> I think people are putting encryption in their apps directly (eg Oracle's
> Transparent Data Encryption feature)
>  -- richard
>

> I know there are far more apps without support for encryption than with it.
> And given the ever more stringent government regulations in the US, there are
> plenty of customers chomping at the bit for encryption at the storage array.

I do not disagree. There are many products in the market that
"seamlessly" encrypt data. But, vi has had encryption for almost
30 years, so there is clearly no barrier to app writers. As more
development moves to the cloud, encryption comes almost free
at the app layer. The only thing left is the legacy apps...
 -- richard