On 6 December 2010 21:43, Fred Liu <fred_...@issi.com> wrote:

> 3TB HDD needs UEFI not the traditional BIOS and OS support.
>

> Fred

Fred:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858/the-worlds-first-3tb-hdd-seagate-goflex-desk-3tb-review/2

Namely:
"a feature of GPT is 64-bit LBA support. With 64-bit LBAs the largest
512-byte sector drive we can address is 9.4ZB
GPT drives are supported as data drives in all x64 versions of Windows as
well as Mac OS X and Linux.
You’ll note that I said data and not boot drives. In order to boot to a GPT
partition, you need hardware support. I just mentioned that your PC’s BIOS
looks at LBA 0 for the MBR. Your BIOS does not support booting to GPT
partitioned drives. GPT is however supported by systems that implement a
newer BIOS alternative: Intel’s Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI)."

I would imagine that anyone looking at this list didn't want the 3TB drive
as a boot drive (rpool), but as a data drive.

Cheers,