On 7 December 2010 13:25, Brandon High <bh...@freaks.com> wrote:

> There shouldn't be any problems using a 3TB drive with Solaris, so
> long as you're using a 64-bit kernel. Recent versions of zfs should
> properly recognize the 4k sector size as well.

I think you'll find that these 3TB, 4KiB physical sector drives are still
exporting logical sectors of 512B (this is what Anandtech has indicated,
anyway). ZFS assumes that the drives logical sectors are directly mapped to
physical sectors, and will create an ashift=9 vdev for the drives.

Hence why enthusiasts are making their own zpool binaries with a hardcoded
ashift=12 so they can create pools that actually function beyond 20 random
writes per second with these drives:
http://digitaldj.net/2010/11/03/zfs-zpool-v28-openindiana-b147-4k-drives-and-you/

Cheers,