On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM, taemun <tae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you'll find that these 3TB, 4KiB physical sector drives are still
> exporting logical sectors of 512B (this is what Anandtech has indicated,
> anyway). ZFS assumes that the drives logical sectors are directly mapped to
> physical sectors, and will create an ashift=9 vdev for the drives.

It depends on the drive. According to Anandtech, the WD drives use 4k
internally but report 512b sectors. They also report that the Seagate
GoFlex uses 512b sectors internally but reports 4k sectors through
it's desktop dock.

So the WD drives should work, and the Seagate drive should work but
both of them lie about their abilities. Waiting for a 3TB drive that
properly reports it capabilities to become available is probably the
best course of action.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com