On 20/12/2010 11:29, Lanky Doodle wrote:
I believe Oracle is aware of the problem, but most of
the core ZFS team has left. And of course, a fix for
Oracle Solaris no longer means a fix for the rest of
us.
OK, that is a bit concerning then. As good as ZFS may be, i'm not sure I want
to committ to a file system that is 'broken' and may not be fully fixed, if at
all.

Hmmmmmnnn...

My home server is still running snv_82, and my iMac is running Apple's last public beta release for Leopard. The way I see it, the on-disk format is sound, and the basic "always consistent on disk" promise seems to be worth something. My files are read-mostly, and performance isn't an issue for me. ZFS has protected my data for several years now in the face of various hardware issues. I'll upgrade my NAS appliance to OpenSolaris snv_134b sometime soon, but as far as I can tell, I can't use Oracle Solaris 11 Express for licensing reasons (I have backups of business data). I'll be watching Illumos with interest, but snv_82 has served me well for 3 years, so I figure snv_134b probably has quite a lot of useful life left in it, and maybe then brtfs will be ready for prime time?