Thanks Edward.

I do agree about mirrored rpool (equivalent to Windows OS volume); not doing it
goes against one of my principles when building enterprise servers.

Is there any argument against using the rpool for all data storage as well as
being the install volume?

Say for example I chucked 15x 1TB disks in there and created a mirrored rpool
during installation, using 2 disks. If I added another 6 mirrors (12 disks) to
it that would give me an rpool of 7TB. The 15th disk being a spare.

Or, say I selected 3 disks during install, does this create a 3 way mirrored
rpool or does it give you the option of creating raidz? If so, I could then
create a further 4x 3 drive raidz's, giving me a 10TB rpool.

Or, I could use 2 smaller disks (say 80GB) for the rpool, then create 4x 3
drive raidz's, giving me an 8TB rpool. Again this gives me a spare disk.

Either of these 3 should keep resilvering times to a minimum, against say one
big raidz2 of 13 disks.

Why does resilvering take so long in raidz anyway?