> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Bill Werner
>
> on a single 60GB SSD drive, use FDISK to create 3 physical partitions, a
20GB
> for boot, a 30GB for L2ARC and a 10GB for ZIL?   Or is 3 physical Solaris
> partitions on a disk not considered the entire disk as far as ZFS is
concerned?

You can do that.  Other people have before.  But IMHO, it demonstrates a
faulty way of thinking.

"SSD's are big and cheap now, so I can buy one of these high performance
things, and slice it up!"  In all honesty, GB availability is not your
limiting factor.  Speed is your limiting factor.  That's the whole point of
buying the thing in the first place.  If you have 3 SSD's, they're each able
to talk 3Gbit/sec at the same time.  But if you buy one SSD which is 3x
larger, you save money but you get 1/3 the speed.

Whether you are using multiple HDD's or multiple SSD's, you're probably
doing it because you want size, speed, and reliability better than a single
disk.  You're defeating all of these purposes by trying to leverage a single
disk for your OS, l2arc, and log devices simultaneously.

That's not to say there's never a situation where it makes sense.  Other
people have done it, and maybe it makes sense for you.  But probably not.