On Dec 24, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Latency is what matters most.  While there is a loose relationship between
> IOPS
> and latency, you really want low latency.  For 15krpm drives, the average
> latency
> is 2ms for zero seeks.  A decent SSD will beat that by an order of magnitude.

Actually I'd say that latency has a direct relationship to IOPS because it's
the time it takes to perform an IO that determines how many IOs Per Second that
can be performed.

Ever notice how storage vendors list their max IOPS in 512 byte sequential IO
workloads and sustained throughput in 1MB+ sequential IO workloads. Only SSD
makers list their random IOPS workload numbers and their 4K IO workload numbers.

-Ross