On Dec 23, 2010, at 2:25 AM, Stephan Budach wrote:
> as I have learned from the discussion about which SSD to use as ZIL drives, I
> stumbled across this article, that discusses short stroking for increasing
> IOPs on SAS and SATA drives:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/short-stroking-hdd,2157.html
>
> Now, I am wondering if using a mirror of such 15k SAS drives would be a
> good-enough fit for a ZIL on a zpool that is mainly used for file services
> via AFP and SMB.

SMB does not create much of a synchronous load.  I haven't explored AFP
directly,
but if they do use Berkeley DB, then we do have a lot of experience tuning ZFS
for
Berkeley DB performance.

> I'd particulary like to know, if someone has already used such a solution and
> how it has worked out.

Latency is what matters most.  While there is a loose relationship between IOPS
and latency, you really want low latency.  For 15krpm drives, the average
latency
is 2ms for zero seeks.  A decent SSD will beat that by an order of magnitude.
 -- richard