On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Robert Hartzell <b...@rwhartzell.net>wrote:

> In 2007 I bought 6 WD1600JS 160GB sata disks and used 4 to create a raidz
> storage pool and then shelved the other two for spares. One of the disks
> failed last night so I shut down the server and replaced it with a spare.
> When I tried to zpool replace the disk I get:
>
> zpool replace tank c10t0d0
> cannot replace c10t0d0 with c10t0d0: device is too small
>
> The 4 original disk partition tables look like this:
>
> Current partition table (original):
> Total disk sectors available: 312560317 + 16384 (reserved sectors)
>
> Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector         Size         Last Sector
>  0        usr    wm                34      149.04GB          312560350
>  1 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  2 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  3 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  4 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  5 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  6 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  8   reserved    wm         312560351        8.00MB          312576734
>
> Spare disk partition table looks like this:
>
> Current partition table (original):
> Total disk sectors available: 312483549 + 16384 (reserved sectors)
>
> Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector         Size         Last Sector
>  0        usr    wm                34      149.00GB          312483582
>  1 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  2 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  3 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  4 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  5 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  6 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  8   reserved    wm         312483583        8.00MB          312499966
>
> So it seems that two of the disks are slightly different models and are
> about 40mb smaller then the original disks.
>
> I know I can just add a larger disk but I would rather user the hardware I
> have if possible.
> 1) Is there anyway to replace the failed disk with one of the spares?
> 2) Can I recreate the zpool using 3 of the original disks and one of the
> slightly smaller spares? Will zpool/zfs adjust its size to the smaller disk?
> 3) If #2 is possible would I still be able to use the last still shelved
> disk as a spare?
>
> If #2 is possible I would probably recreate the zpool as raidz2 instead of
> the current raidz1.
>
> Any info/comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Robert

You cannot.  That's why I suggested two years ago that they chop off 1% from
the end of the disk at install time to equalize drive sizes.  That way you
you wouldn't run into this problem trying to replace disks from a different
vendor or different batch.  The response was that Sun makes sure all drives
are exactly the same size (although I do recall someone on this forum having
this issue with Sun OEM disks as well).  It's ridiculous they don't take
into account the slight differences in drive sizes from vendor to vendor.
 Forcing you to single-source your disks is a bad habit to get into IMO.

--Tim