On Mar 4, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Tim Cook wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Robert Hartzell <b...@rwhartzell.net> wrote:
> In 2007 I bought 6 WD1600JS 160GB sata disks and used 4 to create a raidz
> storage pool and then shelved the other two for spares. One of the disks
> failed last night so I shut down the server and replaced it with a spare.
> When I tried to zpool replace the disk I get:
>
> zpool replace tank c10t0d0
> cannot replace c10t0d0 with c10t0d0: device is too small
>
> The 4 original disk partition tables look like this:
>
> Current partition table (original):
> Total disk sectors available: 312560317 + 16384 (reserved sectors)
>
> Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector         Size         Last Sector
>  0        usr    wm                34      149.04GB          312560350
>  1 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  2 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  3 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  4 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  5 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  6 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  8   reserved    wm         312560351        8.00MB          312576734
>
> Spare disk partition table looks like this:
>
> Current partition table (original):
> Total disk sectors available: 312483549 + 16384 (reserved sectors)
>
> Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector         Size         Last Sector
>  0        usr    wm                34      149.00GB          312483582
>  1 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  2 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  3 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  4 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  5 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  6 unassigned    wm                 0           0               0
>  8   reserved    wm         312483583        8.00MB          312499966
>
> So it seems that two of the disks are slightly different models and are about
> 40mb smaller then the original disks.
>
> I know I can just add a larger disk but I would rather user the hardware I
> have if possible.
> 1) Is there anyway to replace the failed disk with one of the spares?
> 2) Can I recreate the zpool using 3 of the original disks and one of the
> slightly smaller spares? Will zpool/zfs adjust its size to the smaller disk?
> 3) If #2 is possible would I still be able to use the last still shelved disk
> as a spare?
>
> If #2 is possible I would probably recreate the zpool as raidz2 instead of
> the current raidz1.
>
> Any info/comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Robert
>

> You cannot.  That's why I suggested two years ago that they chop off 1% from
> the end of the disk at install time to equalize drive sizes.  That way you
> [...]

Well that sucks... So I guess the only option is to replace the disk with a
larger one? Or are you saying thats not possible either?
I can upgrade to larger disks but then there is no guarantee that I can even
buy 4 identical disks off the shelf at any one time.

Thanks for the info

--
   Robert Hartzell
b...@rwhartzell.net