On Apr 8, 2011, at 3:29 AM, Ian Collins <i...@ianshome.com> wrote:

> On 04/ 8/11 08:08 PM, Mark Sandrock wrote:

>>> Which is not a lot of use to those of us who use X4540s for what they were
>>> intended: storage appliances.
>> Can you elaborate briefly on what exactly the problem is?
>>
>> I don't follow? What else would an X4540 or a 7xxx box
>> be used for, other than a storage appliance?
>>
>> Guess I'm slow. :-)
>>
> No, I just wasn't clear - we use ours as storage/application servers.  They
> run Samba, Apache and various other applications and P2V zones that access
> the large pool of data.  Each also acts as a fail over box (both data and
> applications) for the other.

You have built-in storage failover with an AR cluster;
and they do NFS, CIFS, iSCSI, HTTP and WebDav
out of the box.

And you have fairly unlimited options for application servers,
once they are decoupled from the storage servers.

It doesn't seem like much of a drawback -- although it
may be for some smaller sites. I see AR clusters going in
in local high schools and small universities.

Anything's a fraction of the price of a SAN, isn't it? :-)

Mark