On 04/08/2011 05:20 PM, Mark Sandrock wrote:

>>> Which is all fine and dandy if you have a green field, or are willing to
>>> re-architect your systems.  We just wanted to add a couple more x4540s!
>>>

>> Hi, same here, it's a sad news that Oracle decided to stop x4540s production
>> line. Before, ZFS geeks had choice - buy 7000 series if you want quick "out
>> of the box" storage with nice GUI, or build your own storage with x4540
>> line, which by the way has brilliant engineering design, the choice is gone
>> now.
>
> Okay, so what is the great advantage
> of an X4540 versus X86 server plus
> disk array(s)?
>
> Mark

Several:

 1) Density: The X4540 has far greater density than 1U server + Sun's
J4200 or J4400 storage arrays. The X4540 did 12 disks / 1RU, whereas a
1U + 2xJ4400 only manages ~5.3 disks / 1RU.

 2) Number of components involved: server + disk enclosure means you
have more PSUs which can die on you, more cabling to accidentally
disconnect and generally more hassle with installation.

 3) Spare management: With the X4540 you only have to have one kind of
spare component: the server. With servers + enclosures, you might need
to keep multiple.

I agree that besides 1), both 2) a 3) are a relatively trivial problem
to solve. Of course, server + enclosure builds do have their place, such
as when you might need to scale, but even then you could just hook them
up to a X4540 (or purchase a new one - I never quite understood why the
storage-enclosure-only variant of the X4540 case was more expensive than
an identical server).

In short, I think the X4540 was an elegant and powerful system that
definitely had its market, especially in my area of work (digital video
processing - heavy on latency, throughput and IOPS - an area, where the
7000-series with its over-the-network access would just be a totally
useless brick).

--
Saso