On 04/08/2011 07:22 PM, J.P. King wrote:

> No, I haven't tried a S7000, but I've tried other kinds of network
> storage and from a design perspective, for my applications, it doesn't
> even make a single bit of sense. I'm talking about high-volume
> real-time
> video streaming, where you stream 500-1000 (x 8Mbit/s) live streams
> from
> a machine over UDP. Having to go over the network to fetch the data
> from
> a different machine is kind of like building a proxy which doesn't
> really do anything - if the data is available from a different machine
> over the network, then why the heck should I just put another machine
> in
> the processing path? For my applications, I need a machine with as few
> processing components between the disks and network as possible, to
> maximize throughput, maximize IOPS and minimize latency and jitter.

Amusing history here -- the "Thumper" was developed at Kealia specifically
for their streaming video server.  Sun then bought them, and continued the
video server project until Oracle ate them (the Sun Streaming Video
Server).  That product supported 80,000 (not a typo) 4 megabit/sec video
streams if fully configured.  (Not off a single thumper, though, I don't
believe.)

However, there was a custom hardware board handling streaming, into
multiple line cards with multiple 10G optical ethernet interfaces.  And a
LOT of buffer memory; the card could support 2TB of RAM, though I believe
real installations were using 512GB.

Data got from the Thumpers to the streaming board over Ethernet, though.
In big chunks -- 10MB maybe?  (Been a while; I worked on the user
interface level, but had little to do with the streaming hardware.)

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info