> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Jim Klimov
>
>    A college friend of mine is using Debian Linux on his desktop,
> and wondered if he could tap into ZFS goodness without adding
> another server in his small quiet apartment or changing the

Most likely BTRFS will be your best friend, if what you care about is mostly
snapshots.  Unfortunately, one major deficiency of BTRFS is the inability to
do something on-par with 'zfs send' onto a remote system.  Maybe you care,
maybe not.  BTRFS is included now (and for the last couple of years) on
ubuntu, fedora, and surely some other major distros.

If you want to consider the Solaris guest idea...  I certainly do this in
some situations.  Here's what you should know.  Even with VT (or whatever)
enabled and guest tools installed (or whatever) I have never seen virtualbox
perform disk IO at a rate satisfactorily similar to the native OS.
Furthermore, even if you network the host & guest via virtual network
interface (speed limited only by cpu & ram) it doesn't go nearly as fast as
you would think...  I see something like sustainable maximum 3Gbit going
through the virtual network interfaces.  And of course you give up a
significant chunk of ram to run the virtual guest.

Yes, it works.  Yes, it's appropriate in some cases.  My personal advice
would be to look at BTRFS first, and virtual guest second.