On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Jim Klimov <jimkli...@cos.ru> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  A college friend of mine is using Debian Linux on his desktop,
> and wondered if he could tap into ZFS goodness without adding
> another server in his small quiet apartment or changing the
> desktop OS. According to his research, there are some kernel
> modules for Debian which implement ZFS, or a FUSE variant.
>
>  Can anyone comment how stable and functional these are?
> Performance is a secondary issue, as long as it does not
> lead to system crashes due to timeouts, etc. ;)

zfs-fuse has been around for a long time, and is quite stable. Ubuntu
natty has it on universe repository (don't know about Debian's
repository, but you should be able to use Ubuntu's). It has the
benefits and drawbacks of fuse implementation (namely: it does not
support zvol)

zfsonlinux is somewhat new, and has some problems relating memory
management (in some cases arc usage can get very high, and then you'll
see high cpu usage by arc_reclaim thread). It's not recommended for
32bit OS. Being in kernel, it has potential to be more stable and
faster than zfs-fuse. It has zvol support. Latest rc version is
somewhat stable for normal uses.

Performance-wise, from my test it can be 4 times slower compared to
ext4 (depending on the load).

--
Fajar