On 16/06/11 3:09 AM, Simon Walter wrote:
> On 06/16/2011 09:09 AM, Erik Trimble wrote:
>> We had a similar discussion a couple of years ago here, under the
>> title "A Versioning FS". Look through the archives for the full
>> discussion.
>>
>> The jist is that application-level versioning (and consistency) is
>> completely orthogonal to filesystem-level snapshots and consistency.
>> IMHO, they should never be mixed together - there are way too many
>> corner cases and application-specific memes for a filesystem to ever
>> fully handle file-level versioning and *application*-level data
>> consistency.  Don't mistake one for the other, and, don't try to *use*
>> one for the other.  They're completely different creatures.
>>

> I guess that is true of the current FSs available. Though it would be
> nice to essentially have a versioning FS in the kernel rather than an
> application in userspace. But I regress. I'll use SVN and webdav.

To use Svn correctly here, you have to resolve the same issue. Svn has a
global revision, just as a snapshot is a state for an *entire*
filesystem. You don't seem to have taken that into sufficient account
when talking about ZFS; it doesn't align with your goal of consistency
from the point of view of a *single document*.

You'll only be able to make a useful snapshot in Svn at moments when
*all* documents in the repository are in a consistent state (I'm
assuming this is a multi-user system). That's a much stronger guarantee
than you probably 'require' for your purpose, so it makes me wonder
whether what you really want is a document database (or, to be honest,
an ordinary filesystem; you can "snapshot" single documents in an
ordinary filesystem using say hard links) where the state of each
session/document is *independent*. You can see that the latter model is
much more like Google Docs, not to mention simpler; and the "snapshot"
model is not like it at all.

--Toby