On 6/16/2011 1:32 PM, Paul Kraus wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Richard Elling
<richard.ell...@gmail.com>  wrote:

You can run OpenVMS :-)
Since *you* brought it up (I was not going to :-), how does VMS'
versioning FS handle those issues ?

It doesn't, per se. VMS's filesystem has a "versioning" concept (i.e. every time you do a close() on a file, it creates a new file with the version number appended, e.g. foo;1 and foo;2 are the same file, different versions). However, it is completely missing the rest of the features we're talking about, like data *consistency* in that file. It's still up to the app using the file to figure out what data consistency means, and such. Really, all VMS adds is versioning, nothing else (no API, no additional features, etc.).

I know that SAM-FS has rules for _when_ copies of a file are made, so
that intermediate states are not captured. The last time I touched
SAM-FS there was _not_ a nice user interface to the previous version,
you had to trudge through log files and then pull the version you
wanted directly from secondary storage (but they did teach us how to
that in the SAM-FS / QFS class).

I'd have to look, but I *think* there is a better way to get to the file history/version information now.

--
Erik Trimble
Java Platform Group Infrastructure