On Aug 8, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2011-Aug-08 17:12:15 +0800, Andrew Gabriel <andrew.gabr...@oracle.com>
> wrote:
>> periodic scrubs to cater for this case. I do a scrub via cron once a
>> week on my home system. Having almost completely filled the pool, this
>> was taking about 24 hours. However, now that I've replaced the disks and
>> done a send/recv of the data across to a new larger pool which is only
>> 1/3rd full, that's dropped down to 2 hours.
>
> FWIW, scrub time is more related to how fragmented a pool is, rather
> than how full it is.  My main pool is only at 61% (of 5.4TiB) and has
> never been much above that but has lots of snapshots and a fair amount
> of activity.  A scrub takes around 17 hours.

Don't forget, scrubs are throttled on later versions of ZFS.

In a former life, we did a study of when to scrub and the answer was about once
a year
for enterprise-grade storage.  Once a week is ok for the paranoid.

> This is another area where the mythical block rewrite would help a lot.

Maybe, by then I'll be retired and fishing somewhere, scaring the children with
stories
about how hard we had it back in the days when we stored data on spinning
platters :-)
 -- richard