On 10/18/11 14:04, Jim Klimov wrote:
2011-10-18 16:26, Darren J Moffat пишет:
On 10/18/11 13:18, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
* btrfs is able to balance. (after adding new blank devices,
rebalance, so
the data& workload are distributed across all the devices.) zfs is not
able to do this yet.

ZFS does slightly biases new vdevs for new writes so that we will get
to a more even spread. It doesn't go and move already written blocks
onto the new vdevs though. So while there isn't an admin interface to
rebalancing ZFS does do something in this area.

This is implemented in metaslab_alloc_dva()

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs/metaslab.c

See lines 1356-1378

And the admin interface would be what exactly?..

As I said there isn't one because that isn't how it works today it is all automatic and only for new writes.

I was pointing out that ZFS does do 'something' not that it had an exactly matching feature.

--
Darren J Moffat