On 10/18/11 07:18 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Harry Putnam

As a common slob who isn't very skilled, I like to see some commentary
from some of the pros here as to any comparison of zfs against btrfs.

* Neither one has a fsck.  They both have scrub.  (btrfs calls it "scan" and
zfs calls it "scrub.")  (Correction ... In the latest btrfs beta, I see
there exists btrfsck, but I don't know if it's a full fledged fsck.  Maybe
it's just a frontend for scan? People are still saying there is no fsck.)
I just wanted to add something on fsck on ZFS - because for me that used to make ZFS 'not ready for prime-time' in 24x7 5+ 9s uptime environments. Where ZFS doesn't have an fsck command - and that really used to bug me - it does now have a -F option on zpool import. To me it's the same functionality for my environment - the ability to try to roll back to a 'hopefully' good state and get the filesystem mounted up, leaving the corrupted data objects corrupted. So that if the 10-1000 files and objects that went missing aren't required for my 24x7 5+ 9s application to run (e.g. log files), I can get it rolling again without them quickly, and then get those files recovered from backup afterwards as needed, without having to recover the entire pool from backup.

cheers,
Brian

Brian Wilson, Solaris SE, UW-Madison DoIT
Room 3114 CS&S            608-263-8047
brian.wilson(a)doit.wisc.edu
'I try to save a life a day. Usually it's my own.' - John Crichton