When I wrote a script for this, I used separate snapshots, with a different
naming convention, to use as the endpoints for the incremental send.  With
this, it becomes easier: find the newest snapshot with that naming
convention on the sending side, and check that it exists on the receiving
side.  This way, you don't have to deal with the latest frequent/hourly on
the target side having been removed from the source side since the last
backup.

Tim

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Edward Ned Harvey
(opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris) <