> I send a replication data stream from one host to another. (and receive).

Have you looked at snapsend?

  http://labs.omniti.com/labs/tools/browser/trunk/snapsend.sh

We've used this for a while in production for our backups and
replication. We adapted it a bit so it runs every minute without
overlapping (through a daemon process) and sends email alerts when
errors occur. We'll be updating it in the next week or so some more.
We want the process to run on the remote host instead of the primary
and have it save x days of snaps for backups as well. This way it will
save the last 60 minutes of snapshots (which are sent every minute or
less) as well as one snapshot per day for 30 days. All snapshots are
created on the primary host and pulled to the remote host to avoid
issues.

If you are interested we can push the code to github once we test it.

-Chris