This whole thread has been fascinating. I really wish we (OI) had the two following things that freebsd supports:

1. HAST - provides a block-level driver that mirrors a local disk to a network "disk" presenting the result as a block device using the GEOM API.

2. CARP.

I have a prototype with two freebsd VMs where I can failover back and forth and it works beautifully. Block level replication using all open source software. There were some glitches involving boot and shutdown (dependencies that are not set up properly), but I think if there was enough love in the freebsd community that could be fixed. I could be wrong, but it doesn't *seem* as if either HAST (or an equivalent) or CARP exist in the OI (or other *solaris derivatives) space. Shame if so...
  • Re: [zfs-discuss]... Richard Elling
    • Re: [zfs-dis... Jim Klimov
      • Re: [zfs... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
        • Re: ... Jim Klimov
        • Re: ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
          • ... Jim Klimov
            • ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
              • ... Jim Klimov
              • ... Dan Swartzendruber
              • ... Dan Swartzendruber
              • ... Richard Elling