That is a touch misleading.  This has always been the case since S10u2.  You
have to create the pool AND the file systems at the oldest versions you want to
support.

I maintain a table of pool and version numbers on my blog (blogs.oracle.
com/bobn) for this very purpose.   I got lazy the other day and made this
mistake between 11ga and 11.1.

Watch the ZFS send approach because you might be sending a newer file system
version than is supported.  Yes, I've done that too :)

Bob

Sent from my iPhone