A cautionary note with this problem - who says when 2 minutes is up? Clocks
will go forward at different rates and with different offsets. You cannot
rely on two machines having the same perception of what 2 minutes means. In
general, in distributed systems, it's a good design principle to minimise
any dependence on a common notion of real time.

That said the best way is to pick some machine, like Mahadev says, to retire
old locks by polling every N seconds, where N is the slop you can afford.

What problem are you actually trying to solve?

cheers,
Henry

--
Henry Robinson