Hi,

Another possible approach:

   1. client generates hash code to be locked.  use the first N hex digits
   (eg. first 2 digits) as a filename "FN".
   2. attempt to create (ephemeral) node "FN.lock".  loop until this
   succeeds, or abort when time budget exhausted.
   3. read node "FN" containing list of hash-codes with associated expiry
   times.  if full hash-code does not exist, or has expired, then update list
   with full hash-code and expiry time.  Otherwise, you didn't get the lock.
   4. release "FN.lock"

For 10K locked cards, this would give 256 nodes containing approx. 400
hash-codes.  Obviously this can be scaled by increasing the number of digits
in "FN".

But to do this, would I need to call sync between steps 2 and 3 to ensure
the node "FN" was up-to-date - assuming I do not know if I am connected to a
primary ZK instance ?   Would 10K sync calls within a 2 minute period be
excessive ?

regards,
Martin