I take your point about reliability, but I have no option other than finding
a multi-site solution.

Unfortunately, in my experience sites are much less reliable than individual
machines, and so in a way coping with site failure is more important than
individual machine failure.  I imagine that the risk profile changes
according to the number of machines you have, however.

Thanks for the input
Martin