On Oct 18, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
I may not *want* the other package's ZCML to be loaded:  some of its
policies may not be appropriate for my application.  I think that the
"library" vs. "pluggable application" distinction is valid here: maybe you want to define an entry point in the egg which a given pluggable app
would use at startup time to configure all the plugins which exposed
that entry point.

This probably an indication that there are two (I know, that horrible number) types of packages:

- packages which provide zcml sugar in the form of new directive definitions

 - packages which perform component registrations

It seems that packages which do only the former could be classified as a "true" library while the latter is more application-y. It seems like in a perfect world, libraries should not need any configure.zcml, just a meta.zcml which contains little except meta directives.

Personally I think it would be more useful to remove policy-laden registrations from existing packages so they're more libraryish and move these registrations into "site.zcml" (or an entry point moral equivalent) than it would be to attempt to annoint the status quo as the right thing by implementing dependency graph traversal.

- C