Tino Wildenhain escribió:
Garito wrote:
Tino Wildenhain escribió:
Garito wrote:
Tino Wildenhain escribió:
Garito wrote:
Sure, but I can't create a new product for every product I'll use only
to do it catalog aware, isn't it?
Yes you can. Why not? I mean you are using them - so you can use
your products instead as well.
Yes but what if tomorrow you create a product? need work to times: you
first, me later
Who says you have a use for the product I create? Or if it makes
sense to catalog it? If you want a cataloguing framework, why
dont you use CMF or something?
I want to make every class catalogable only if I point a zcatalog id
(with self.default_catalog) but If I point it I want to catalogue the
object

And what of the object do you want to catalog?
Which kind of indexes do you want it to support?
What kind of questions do you expect your ZCatalog
(hypothetically) answered? Could you give examples?
Is not important what I want to catalog, for me is important that the object *was* in the catalog (some catalogs indexes some properties some others other properties)

Please read the catalog section again: there isnt the object in the catalog!
Again: The object is _not_ in the catalog.
Its all about usefull indexes and maybe object metadata.
So again: _what_ actually do you expect to find?
When I talk about was in the catalog I mean the object is catalogued
I expect to find *the object* in the catalog

For example:

How do you know how many cousins you have? Because you are a catalog that catalog the number of cousins you have

Another example: how much skills about computing do you have? Again your skills are objects that you need (as a catalog you are) to catalog

Like an entity (a thing, and object) you need to know some data stored in your life added to you

Now is a search era, isn't it?

Yes, search for what and by whom is the question here.
I don't thing so. The question is who is in the catalog
Use another framework only to do the objects catalogable?

I love simple things

So why are you trying to make standard zope objects more
complicated? :)
More complicated? Sure, but I don't understand the cost to make every object in Zope catalogable. A class and a variable I don't thing is a big cost
And I thing in Zope when I thing in keep it simple

Yes, but its nonsense. You cant do anything more with the objects
in Zope if they are catalogued.
Are you sure? I can find them!!! Then if I can find them I can count them, give to you (even if its don't depend on me, remember your skills or your cousins?)

I want to create an object that acts like an entity (like a human or a mortage or a paper or a product -that you can sell)

These entity need to know how is it (its properties, its characteristics)

I ask myself if I know myself but I only know about myself all I can catalogue

In my opinion (is only an opinion) these is not the best situation in a
future

Sorry but is not so acceptable for me
The point is, it makes no sense to catalog Pagetemplates,
Python Scripts, Folders and ZSQL Methods, Mailhosts
and Database connections. These are all standard zope
objects, yet they make catalogable content only in derived
work or when they play together - which is a custom
solution anyway. There you can add whatever cataloguing
awareness you want.
And if I use them dinamically (a user with the role1 use the template
Ver but a user with the role2 use the template Ver1 for the same
context)? (I'm not sure if I understand you clear, sorry If I make a
mistake, please

This would not be supported by just adding indexing to the standard
objects anyway. You would write a container which supports the bahavior
you want - and while you are at it you can easily add catalogawareness
to that - exactly where and in the way _you_ need it :-)
Individual objects cataloguing themself would get in your way.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain
Yes, I'm creating a specific container that works in a curious way. In that container I could catalog a Page Template when I'm adding it but perhaps sometimes I want to track its changes an so on

Yes, but who should know what _you_ want your objects to do? You cannot
expect all people (especially the ones writing zope core) to guess
your needs - you are the one to express your wishes in the form of
code :-) If you end up having a general solution (like these frameworks
are) you can share them with others.

Regards
Tino
I don't expect anyone guess my needs (is for that I need to develop the class) :)
I only ask if I can add some super classes to an object when  I create it :)
I know my needs are so particular but I want to create something new with a new perspective. If I can the result will be very curious (I suppose, I expect even)

I choose Zope because is the most near to my finall result

--
Mis Cosas
http://blogs.sistes.net/Garito