One of the key questions of that threat was, were the incubator
release should be hosted

<snip>
Incubator code should not be on www.apache.org/dist.  Only official ASF
releases are permitted to be there.  Our stuff should be under
people.apache.org/dist/incubator/${podling}.

Remember: we're not trying to make Incubator code *too* widely available.
Only very committed users should be touching it at all.
</snip>

Which makes sense to me; Something like
"people.apache.org/dist/incubator/${podling}" has the character of a
SNAPSHOT, since this here is all under incubation and not a fully
adopted Apache project yet.

With Maven no big deal to add a repository;
"people.apache.org/dist/incubator/" will not be mirrored via ibiblio

-Matthias