Hi Jens, Nik, all

thanks for joining this task and for uploading your drafts.

I'd like to comment on both of your designs and add a few thoughts not mentioned before (at least not here on this list):

Jens: Your app icons look great, but I don't think we should change them in such a radical way with a minor release. If people don't recognize their applications and files, they might become upset...

Representing the different file formats with other symbols might be a good idea (we should involve UX in that question), even if they are quite abstracted.

But for the present question there is one point to mention: ODF is not eye-catching at all - in fact, you have to search a bit to find the letters (this refers to both of your uploaded icons).

You did send me a more classic approach offlist - containing the gulls and a gradient in the upper area, lines for writer in the middle and a yellow area with ODF at the bottom. It's quite similar to Nik's draft.

Nik, your design is great too - works in small sizes as well as in larger scales, eye-catching by the colors and the gull as separator between application color and content symbols.

But looking at your design I notice something I didn't mention before:

The ODF icons should be used by as many applications as possible (the present ones by abandonment of any app specific symbols). I'd rather would like to have an area dedicated to such a symbol or graphical element. The symbol should not be more prominent than the "ODF" area, but give additional information on the application.

Jens changed the colors of the OASIS logo (background yellow, text violet), this seems to me to be more eye-catching than the violet logo with white text.

Especially in very small size (16x16) when the text is not readable at all, the yellow area with violet border might be a good representation.

Even if I'm not able to design as high quality icons as you both, I uploaded what I think might be a basis of icons that could be used by other applications too:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:BeDipp#personal_sandbox

Best regards

Bernhard