Hi Martin, all,

Martin Hollmichel schrieb:
Hi Bernhard,

Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Hi Jens, Nik, all

thanks for joining this task and for uploading your drafts.

I'd like to comment on both of your designs and add a few thoughts not mentioned before (at least not here on this list):

Jens: Your app icons look great, but I don't think we should change them in such a radical way with a minor release. If people don't recognize their applications and files, they might become upset...
I find them interesting as well. On some colors the seagulls could have some more contrast...

Representing the different file formats with other symbols might be a good idea (we should involve UX in that question), even if they are quite abstracted.

I think the document icons should looks somehow like document, the shape you choose seem also too abstract for me.
But for the present question there is one point to mention: ODF is not eye-catching at all - in fact, you have to search a bit to find the letters (this refers to both of your uploaded icons).

Maybe this is the idea behind this, one day the users may associate that shape with ODF, but I have to admit that I'm a bit septic in this aspect ;-)

For the moment, the goal with the new icons is to improve user knowledge about ODF - that's the reason why "ODF" is so prominent on the icons Stella designed.

These icons might fit to a more general update to OpenOffice.org - when users know about ODF already (perhaps with OOo4?)
[...]
Even if I'm not able to design as high quality icons as you both, I uploaded what I think might be a basis of icons that could be used by other applications too:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:BeDipp#personal_sandbox

but these still contain the seagulls ?!

my understanding from what you've said is: ODF document icons should have no seagulls, the app icons should have them.

Sorry, if I've not been clear enough:

I still want application related symbols on the icons - they can be less prominent than the ODF eye-catcher, but removing them from Stellas iconset was one of the points I disagreed (besides the loss of file format related colors).

I nearly don't mind the application on files that stay unchanged: Browser, viewer, player and so on. In these case the file format is the only important information.

But if files are going to be modified, the application becomes important to the user: It makes really a difference if I work on an image with MS paint or GIMP. Same with Writer or gedit on a TXT file. And because of the different features of the ODF supporting applications I'd like to know if a double click opens my ODT file in Writer or any other app.

Therefore I'd liek to keep the gull (or any other OOo representing symbol) on the document icons.

And I can imagine other applications switching easier to a general ODF icon set, if they can add their app symbol to these icons.

And: do we really need to go with the OASIS yellow or violet ? On that yellow I don't like either black or white letters, and the violet color doesn't seem to work with black Letters.
Why do you need black or white on the colored area?

Why don't stay with the combination of yellow and violet?

These colors are used for representing OASIS ODF since I got notice of ODF. They are quite unique on the desktop, and in combination they are eye-catching.

I don't see a reason for OASIS to skip these colors (perhaps in favor of a blue that is quite similar to the OASIS blue group), but I didn't ask them yet.

Best regards

Bernhard