Hi, Sandra,

At 05:50 PM 3/9/2004, you wrote:
>>Very interesting post on literalism...  Being something of a literalist myself,
>>could you give some concrete examples of term vs. concept from the Baha'i Writings
>>?<<

IMO, everything which anyone says or writes, not only the Prophets, should be treated
as "just words" (context). The concepts, or intended meaning, needs to be discovered
through deeper study.

One example I have raised numerous times is evolution. `Abdu'l-Baha's treatment of the
subject is based on certain early twentieth-century views, especially Thomas Henry
Huxley's popularizations. A literal reading of _Some Answered Questions_ has led many
Baha'is to assume that `Abdu'l-Baha was promoting what some have called "parallel
evolution," which is nearly identical to Christian old-earth creationism.

Mark A. Foster * Portal: http://MarkFoster.net
CompuServe: http://boards.M.Foster.name