< A literal reading of _Some Answered Questions_ has led many
Baha'is to assume that `Abdu'l-Baha was promoting what some
have called "parallel evolution," which is nearly identical to
Christian old-earth creationism. >

Hi Mark,

So... in contrast what do you assume / conclude about
evolution as described by Abdu'l-Baha using alternative
hermeneutic strategies?

Certainly,  my own views have been strongly influenced through
participation on this list over the years;  because I felt
compelled to reassess my understanding using those issues of
literary, historical, social, and cultural context you
mentioned, and so graciously shared by more knowledgeable
members who routinely engage in research based on
methodological principles.

The result has been a sense of expanded awareness, but not
necessarily a reversal of my initial interpretation or again
"understanding" of a particular concept.  As Richard
mentioned:  [ I ]  "...do not think in terms of strategies.."
while at the same time conceding that I do, indeed, employ
personal "strategies" to analyze the rationale/motivation of
certain Sacred Scriptures.

My feeling is that most people do.  Their "approach" may not
be recognizable as "scientific methodology" and, they would
most likely reject any suggestion that it IS.  I think of it
as using our inherent rational faculty so that we can
articulate and describe an otherwise elusive spiritually based
conviction.

Lovingly,  Sandra