Hi, Sandra,

At 10:06 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
>>Could you give an example of "naming by attribution" in each - Particulars;
>>Universals;  and Structurizations...<<

As I am using these terms, naming particulars by attribution would be identical to
universals or structurization. For instance, gender is a result of attributing
characteristics to people defined (rightly or wrongly) as being one sex or the other.
(I say "rightly or wrongly" since there is no general agreement among sexologists as
to the number of sexes. Some say one. Others, two. Still others, five.) This process
of attribution, naming, or structurization, in connection with other acts of
structurization, socially constructs our lifeworlds.

>>And, include:  who/what is measuring/evaluating the characteristics of each to
>>warrant the attribution?<<

Please rephrase the question.

>>You no doubt recognize I don't have the ability to "challenge" you on this... but, I
>>fear if I were in your position I'd be painting myself into the proverbial corner.<<

Not really. I am just playing with ideas.

>>Therefore, I'm intrigued and curious to see where your theory leads...<<

I really can't entirely claim it. Most of what I am talking about comes from Ian
Hacking's dynamic nominalism.

Mark A. Foster * http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"
-- Mark Twain and Abbie Hoffman