Now I would say it was the Will of God [more or less] that the spread of
Islam be in that way. Why the more or less?
Because I do believe the Primacy of the Imam 'Ali was not recognized
universally and remained unimplemented [the Imam 'Ali was chosen as the
Fourth Caliph]...and that had enormous consequences in its own right
Interestingly the texts of the most relied upon Hadiths testify to this loss

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/003.sbt.html#0

01.003.114

Volume 1, Book 3, Number 114:

of Hadith BUKHARI

Narrated 'Ubaidullah bin 'Abdullah:

Ibn 'Abbas said, "When the ailment of the Prophet became worse, he said,
'Bring for me (writing) paper and I will write for you a statement after
which you will not go astray.' But 'Umar said, 'The Prophet is seriously
ill, and we have got God's Book with us and that is sufficient for us.' But
the companions of the Prophet differed about this and there was a hue and
cry. On that the Prophet said to them, 'Go away (and leave me alone). It is
not right that you should quarrel in front of me." Ibn 'Abbas came out
saying, "It was most unfortunate (a great disaster) that God's Apostle was
prevented from writing that statement for them because of their disagreement
and noise. ***
Reference: Sahih Muslim, Chapter of "Kitabul-Wasiyyah" in section "Babut-
Tarkil-Wasiyyah", 1980 Edition, Arabic version (Saudi Arabia), v3,
P1259, Tradition (#1637/21).

The other version is given by al-Bukhari and Muslim which indicates the
role of Umar in that catastrophe:

     Sahih al-Bukhari Hadiths: 9.468 and 7.573
     Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

     When the time of the death of the Prophet approached while there were
     some men in the house, and among them was 'Umar Ibn al-Khatttab, the

     Prophet said: "Come near let me write for you a writing after which
     you will never go astray." 'Umar said: "The Prophet is seriously ill,
     and you have the Quran, so Allah's Book is sufficient for us." The
     people in the house differed and disputed. Some of them said, "Come
     near so that Allah's Apostle may write for you a writing after which
     you will not go astray," while the others said what 'Umar said. When
     they made much noise and quarreled greatly in front of the Prophet, he
     said to them, "Go away and leave me." Ibn 'Abbas used to say, "It was
     a great disaster that their quarrel and noise prevented Allah's
     Apostle from writing a statement for them.