Hi, Gilberto,

At 11:12 AM 12/25/2004, you wrote:
>>Ok, I will be making a field trip to the encyclopedia now...lol...<<

The term "Wertrationalitäet" (substantive rationality) comes from Max Weber. He
distinguished it from "Zweckrationalitäet" (instrumental or formal
rationality). Wertrationalitäet refers to actions which conform with one's
values. Zweckrationalitäet is something like the shortest distance between two
points.

Cornelius val Til was one of the originators of presuppositionalism, a
Calvinist approach to apologetics. His view was that, in making biblically
based arguments, one needed to accept certain presuppositions. One could then
take them to demonstrate the efficiency of one's positions. (The problem with
this approach is that an a priori acceptance of presuppositions can become a
self-fulfilling prophecy.)

>.But in some occasions you need to deal with violent aggressors with force.<<

Yes.

>>But when Bahais make a big deal out say that "holy war" has been abrogated it
>>gives the impression that somehow they are more peaceful, or closer to
>>pacifism, etc. than other religions in principle. when there are significant
>>exceptions which make that untrue.<<

If so, it is really a commentary on the assumptions of those Baha'is. Pacifism
is clearly *not* taught in the Baha'i primary sources:

"With reference to the absolute pacifists, or conscientious objectors to war;
their attitude, judged from the Baha'i standpoint, is quite anti-social and due
to its exaltation of the individual conscience leads inevitably to disorder and
chaos in society.  Extreme pacifists are thus very close to the anarchists, in
the sense that both of these groups lay an undue emphasis on the rights and
merits of the individual.  The Baha'i conception of social life is essentially
based on the subordination of the individual will to that of society.  It
neither suppresses the individual nor does it exalt him to the point of making
him an anti-social creature, a menace to society.  As in everything, it follows
the `golden mean'.  The only way that society can function is for the minority
to follow the will of the majority."
-- From a letter, dated Nov. 21, 1935, written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi
(Lights of Guidance, p.408)

>>Alot of times I get the impression that Bahai self-descriptions give the
>>impression of being significantly and substantially different from Islam. And
>>given an environment where people have a lot of bias and prejudice against
>>Islam, such statements will probably play very well.<<

In some cases, they are. In others, they are not. However, most Western Baha'is
are not sufficiently familiar with Islam to make that judgement.

With regards, Mark A. Foster * 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman