Hi, Gilberto,

At 09:53 PM 12/27/2004, you wrote:
>>Maybe I'm misremembering it but the passage I saw recently talked about the
>>previous revelations being renewed which to me suggested more of a repetitive
>>process where the revelation is more of a reminder of what came before.<<

That passage referred to a Revelation being perfected, not renewed, through the
subsequent Revelation.

>>That doesn't necessarily leave non-traditional people out in the cold
>>though.<<

Okay. That is different from what most self-defined traditionalist authors
believe.

>>I think we are talking about two different things. One is whether the Bab was
>>a Perennialist. I'm willing to hold off on that till reading more about the
>>writings.<<

Yes.

>>Secondly, whether Perennialism/Traditionalism makes sense independently of
>>whether the Bab endorsed it or not.<<

Paradigms are constructed sets of assumptions. If one accepts a particular
paradigm, the conclusions one draws will follow from, and be consistent with,
it. Thus, the paradigm becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. In other words, most
any system of beliefs can make relative sense.

>>I'm not sure how Schuon and Nasr do it. Personally, I would just refuse to
>>call post-Muhammad religious figures prophets.I mean, I haven't concluded
>>that Bahaullah is a Manifestation so your question isn't all that deep to
>>me.<<

That has been a difficult issue for some Muslims who accept traditionalism. In
other words, one is faced with the impossibility of accepting any faith systems
subsequent to Islam as legitimate "traditions" founded by a Prophet (Meher
Baba, Baha'u'llah, Ramakrishna, etc.). It may also account for why
traditionalism has never been a majority opinion among perennialists, who tend
to be more universal and syncretist.

>>I guess in general I would take the standard claims of Islam seriously.<<

I have always found Islam attractive - even when I was a child. The main
concept which prevented me from accepting it was the near universal
understanding of "the seal" among Muslims. For that reason, I gravitated more
towards Eckankar (surat shabd yoga), Thelema, Theosophy, Vedanta, and (briefly)
Sikhism.

>>There are passages in the Quran and hadith which suggest that tawhid might be
>>sufiicient for salvation so I would be open to the idea that other religions
>>might satisfy God's criteria for tawhid whether I can recognize it or not.<<

To my understanding, Baha'i soteriology comes closest to inclusivism, the view
that God can choose to "save" whoever He wishes, rather than a pure
universalism. IMO, universalism, like exclusivism, compromises God's absolute
sovereignty.

>>I wouldn't "accept" their claim from their perspective. I would avoid
>>"avatar" or any kind of incarnational language. But hold out the possibility
>>that they are saintly monotheists and that God will accept them.<<

Okay.

>>I'm not sure what a Bahai traditionalist would look like?<<

There are at least a few traditionalists in Baha'i cyberspace (not sure about
this list). The ones I have known emphasize the "eternal teachings" of
different faith systems; they see "progressive Revelation" in relation to the
exoteric (social), not the esoteric (eternal), elements of religions; and they
tend to be Platonists.

With regards, Mark A. Foster * 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman